I've been trying to master protein balls and slices to have on the go when I'm feeling peckish. These turned out pretty nice, not too sweet, but just sweet enough. The egg helps to combine the ingredients without the need of coconut oil or honey to bind the mixture and the bites don't fall apart once baked!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 8 mins
1/2 Cup Almonds
1/2 Cup Cashews
1/2 Cup Hazelnuts
1/2 Cup Wholegrain Oats
1/4 Cup Buckwheat
1/4 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds
1/4 Cup Boiling Water
1/4 Cup Coconut Threads
2 Tablespoons Chia Seeds
4 Tablespoons Protein Powder (Optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius Place dates in a bowel and pour over boiling water to soak for a minute.
2. Blitz almonds, cashews, hazelnuts oats, buckwheat, pumpkin and sunflower seeds in a blender for a few rounds leaving the mixture coarsely ground and not into a powder.
3. Empty 3/4 of mixture into a large bowl. Add dates and water and blitz till dates are mixed into nut and seed mixture to make a clumpy mixture.
4. Empty into large bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix well.
5. Spoon mixture into a mini muffin tray (silicon tray works best) and press down. Or if you're feeling lazy just press down into a big slab onto a tray with baking paper to be chopped up into slices later.
6. Bake for 8mins.
7. Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing bites from the tray.
Just another health and fitness professional putting in their 2 cents. 2 cents may be all you need one day.